Friday, January 21, 2011

Mmm Mmm Fall

I love roasting whole chickens. It’s always a beautiful meal that leaves plenty of left overs. In honor of the fall weather, I made a butternut squash and apple side dish to go along with the chicken. The whole apartment was filled with an awesome aroma… Hunter smelled it before he came in the door (not surprised)!

The chicken took a little long to cook so if you’re going to try this recipe, make sure you put the chicken in the oven a good two and a half hours before dinner time. When I make chicken I usually improvise, which is another reason why I LOVE roasting chickens… I can be as creative as I want and here’s what I came up with:

1 whole chicken (take out all the inside gunk hehe)
Lemon juice
Olive oil
Dry white wine
Lots of herbs- Oregano, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, fresh parsley
Minced garlic
Butter
Salt & Pepper
Mix all of the ingredients in a gallon zip loc bag. Like I said, I just play in the kitchen so I can’t tell you exact amounts but it’s very difficult to mess up this dish so don’t worry. When you have a good consistency going, add the chicken and close the bag. make sure the chicken is covered with the marinade and put it in the fridge until it’s time to bake.

I usually stuff the chicken with potatoes and onions so it holds a nice shape. bake in the oven at 375 until the juices run clear.





And for a side dish whip up some fall goodness with roasted butternut squash and apples

1 lb butternut squash, cubed
1 tsp canola oil
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice mix
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup mashed pecans
2 apples peeled and cored
2 tbsp butter (or more)
a little more maple syrup (for the apples)
1 tbsp water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix the squash with the oil in a bowl and the spice mix. Spread on an ungreased baking sheet until the squash turns brown at the edges. In a bowl, mix squash with syrup and bake for 5 more minutes.

In a separate skillet, melt butter and add apples. Saute until golden and tender. Stir in water, syrup, cinnamon and a pinch of salt and saute until glazed.

Then mix the squash, apples and pecans together and Voila!

Served on a table… FINALLY!

Enjoy and happy fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment