Friday, January 21, 2011

The Spirit of Christmas

Not too long ago I posted about how excited I was about spending my first Christmas as a married woman. I talked about decorating for the holidays and deciding on a theme for our tree. But things changed a little.

A couple of weeks ago, Hunter and I decided that we shouldn’t get a tree this year, and instead save the money we would have spent on decorations. I’m not going to lie, I was pretty upset. How in the heck was I supposed to get in the spirit of Christmas without a beautifully decorated tree? Plus it’s like 60 degrees outside… nothing in my atmosphere indicates that it’s Christmas time.

I broke down because if it were only snowing here the way it is in Blacksburg things would be better. And then God asked me, “Dear one, what is Christmas to you anyway?”

Wow I felt silly! To answer honestly I said, “Busy malls, and wrapping presents, crazy traffic, food that makes me fat, and decorated trees, and Santa Baby playing on the radio.”

Can I please take a moment to say that “Santa Baby” is like the most materialistic song ever, and don’t judge me but I love that song.

And so I started thinking of how much God could teach Hunter and I this Christmas if we focused on what it’s really about… if we went without gifts and without stockings and without a tree. I’m astounded at the things I so easily forget.

Christmas is not about the weather. It’s not about my insane need to decorate. Jesus is the Savior of the world even if we don’t put up a tree this year or ever. Christmas is not about me showing off a gift my husband gave me. Christmas is not about me.

And even as I write this I know that later on at the mall I’ll find a pair of boots and think, “Hunter should get these for me for Christmas.” And I’ll have to remind myself that I already received the gift of Christmas by the grace of God. Those boots probably won’t be in season next year, the tree will be ashes somewhere and I might not even want the same ornaments. But Jesus doesn’t change and I’ll still want Him (and need Him) tomorrow, and next year.

Christmas is not about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment